Saturday, April 01, 2006


Greg, Murray, Jeff, Anthony

The Wiggles are the coolest band in the world.

Not just the coolest band for kids, the coolest band period. I will arm wrestle anyone who disputes that, and I will probably lose, but it's still true.

Before my daughter (who's 4 now) was born, I interviewed Greg for a short radio spot (I was a broadcast journalist at the time). I was impressed with his politeness and professionalism. At the time I didn't realize I was talking to Paul Mcartney in Australia's version of the Beatles for pre-schoolers.

If you want proof of just how cool this band is listen to one of their CDs. I mean listen to the music. Set aside the lyrics because, well, this ain't Richard Thompson or Elvis Costello - and that's okay because those guys don't appeal to pre-schoolers anyway. (I suppose maybe very disturbed pre-schoolers.)

The arrangements are wonderful. They bring together a mixture of classic pop rock music conventions with world rhythms, r&b and, every once in a while a shot of dixieland and celtic folk - sometimes all in one song. One of the features I have come to appreciate is a wonderful (some might say slightly bizzare) use of Mexican style horns. I am not sure where an Australian children's group picks up this kind of influence but it works for me. (Maybe it's because I am a fan of bands like the Mavericks and Calexico)

By the way two of the four Wiggles, Anthony and Jeff, were in an R&B band called the Cockroaches. (If a name like that doesn't help qualify them as being cool, I don't know what else would.) Anthony, Greg and Murray studied early childhood education - hence the band.

It's one thing to succeed in the recording studio, quite another to shine playing live and these guys are great live. We took our daughter to see them in a hockey arena last year. We scored third row seats and I am telling you the Wiggles are the hardest working guys in show business. And yes, I have seen James Brown and these guys qualify for the title.

One of the coolest things?
They actually sing and play their instruments on stage.

They run and jump around and dance and do prat falls. They could easily resort to lip syncing and frankly I wouldn't blame them, but they don't. Trust me. I was in the third row. I could see the sweat and I could tell they were playing. Take that Britney!

Do I love everything about the Wiggles? No. Their DVDs cheap out on the production values and they do that Disney thing of recycling stuff. Songs and videos appear and reappear in various forms and formats. Nothing seems to make it to the cutting room floor.

On the other hand, these guys have become millionaires because they are really really good at entertaining pre-schoolers and they deserve every penny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home